This topic covers the theory of waves and concepts associated with waves as carriers of energy. The topic covers many curriculum areas including, Stage 4/5 Science and Stage 6 Senior Science (theory of waves), Stage 6 Earth and Environmental Science (effects of wave behaviour on beaches and the impact of Tsunamis) and English (experimental factual writing and developing a presentation).
The topic engages students in a variety of learning activities including; internet research into the theory of waves, designing and building a model beach to analyse wave behaviour and conducting internet research into Tsunamis.
Waves as Carriers of Energy
• As a class discuss
the issues related to the study of ocean wave behaviour and the energy
associated with ocean waves.
• Exposition and class
• Students examine the
• Students view the DVD “Step into Liquid” and discuss in groups the features and characteristics of waves caught by surfers.
Information Technology-based Activities:
• Students design an experiment to allow analysis of wave behaviour using Worksheet B.
• Students prepare a presentation with PowerPoint on the impact of Tsunamis using Worksheet C.
• Building the model based around the designed experiment for analysing wave behaviour.
• Perform experimental investigations and observations of wave behaviour using their model.
• Examine other forms of wave energy such as sound, radio waves and light
• Investigate and explain why light waves can travel in a vacuum but sound waves cannot.
• Investigate other examples
of waves as carriers of energy in nature, such as earthquakes. Examine
• Internet using Internet
• Assessment of completed Worksheets A, B and C